Monday, January 16, 2017

Going Home

We traveled home for Christmas like we do every year. It's about a 13 hour drive to Dallas (where my family is) and then another 3 hours to Oklahoma. It's a haul but it's worth it for so many reasons!

One of the highlights is getting to drive out to the Wildlife Refuge.

I love going to the Wildlife Refuge when we're home, even in the winter. People think of the prairie as being sort of barren but even in the winter it's so alive. The neon green lichens stand out even more than they do in the summer or spring. And I always forget how much easier it is to spot birds on the prairie. In Georgia we have tall thick forests (which I love) that make it difficult to find the source of a bird call.

I just love it. I'll always love it. Those little mountains are why I fell in love with nature and they'll always be home.
















2 comments: